Old 17-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Stake or cage tomatoes?

When I looked at Craig Lehoullier's website
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Fro..._Mar_03_04.htm and
looked at the "2003 Growout Spreadsheet" which has links to photos of the
tomato plants, I was struck by the fact that *all* the tomato plants seem to
be staked. I had given up growing determinate varieties because I had
difficulty staking some of them, but using tomato cages last year did not
work well for me.

I'm sure that many on this group have good luck with the various cages, but
I just can't see myself dealing with 6-foot tall cages (or storing them over
the winter).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Michael" wrote in message
I have always used stakes to support my tomatoes, but I have read a few
articles about caging. I was planning on getting concrete reinforcing wire
with the 6x6 openings and making my own cages, but I thought I would like
to hear from someone who has tried both. Thanks for your help!