Old 17-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Anna Kettle

Default Worms.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:26:16 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

If you can bear to wait, by far the best way to do this is to cover the
area with an inch or two of sand, then a layer of fresh stable manure,
then the stuff which greengrocers throw out - most would give it to you
gladly unless someone else is already having it, then, when you have
built the heap up to (say) two feet high, pile on straw, cardboard,
newspaper etc and cover the lot with old (not artificial fibre though)
carpet, and cap that with a stout sheet of black polythene AND LEAVE IT
FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. (Get the polythene from a builders' merchant.)

Aha! another place I can try to offload my carpet.

Its natural fibre and maybe 40 years old cos it was made in strips.
Its 5m*4m, light blue and in excellent condition so it must have been
expensive when new. No takers yet to use it as a carpet with period
character, so its up for grabs for any one who wants to use it to make
a thing like this description, or to line a fishpond. Failing that it
will go to the tip next week.

A bit far away for the OP though cos I' m near Bury St Edmunds,
Suffolk

Anna

--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation