Old 26-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Newbie question

At 07:53 PM 1/26/03 +0000, Iris Cohen wrote:
the accompanying leaflet states that this is a warm area of China, and
therefore the bonsai is suitable for growing indoors.

Don't believe everything you read in leaflets. It is probably similar to
Serissa & the warmer-growing varieties of Chinese elm. Until we can get a take
on this from a botanist, I would give it a cool rest in the fall & then bring
it indoors, or keep it in an unheated room for the winter, as you are doing.
Try to research a little more about the climate of Gwangdong province, & what
other well known species come from it.

The "Schneidria" is probably something added by the Dutch importer.

Apparently it is a cultivar name. Until we know more, I would put it in single
quotes.

Iris

The RHS Index lists Zelkova schneiderana, similar to Z. sinica, native to
SW China, zone 7.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++