Old 17-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Wild Garlic

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

My Mother - generally v knowledgeable in gardening matters - has a clump of
plants she thinks is wild garlic.

There are a lot of the Allium genus which have a garlicky taste -
however, I don't know of one called 'Wild Garlic'.

There's Allium ursinum (Ransomes or Wood Garlic) and Allium triquetrum
(Triangular Stalked Garlic). The more common is the former, which has
leaves resembling lily of the valley and flowers rather like small Star
of Bethlehem.

It is growing in her garden in Essex and it now resembles spring onions but
with none of the distinctive smell. I pulled up a bulb and split it across
with my thumb nail and it didn't have the distinctive structure of a garlic
bulb as usually recognised either.

It doesn't sound like either of the two I've mentioned.

Is it possible this is wild garlic - without features that appear later in
the year, and then only in cultivated forms?

IMO, no.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/