Old 17-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Kay Easton

Default Wild Garlic

In article , Brian Watson
writes
My Mother - generally v knowledgeable in gardening matters - has a clump of
plants she thinks is wild garlic.

It is growing in her garden in Essex and it now resembles spring onions but
with none of the distinctive smell. I pulled up a bulb and split it across
with my thumb nail and it didn't have the distinctive structure of a garlic
bulb as usually recognised either.

Is it possible this is wild garlic - without features that appear later in
the year, and then only in cultivated forms?

Wild garlic has broad flat leaves, not at all like spring onion, and a
strong smell.

Wild garlic - Ramsons - while in the same genus, Allium, is a totally
different species from cultivated garlic, or, to put it the other way
around, cultivated forms of garlic were bred from a different species of
Allium, not the one that we know as wild garlic (and don't even ask
about hedge garlic ;-) )
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: