Old 17-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Dick

Default Eradicating BBA

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:10:07 GMT, "Chris_S" wrote:

I'm cheating? No I've just got better things to do than beat my head
against the wall wasting my time. If you have weeds in your lawn, do you
think you can get rid of them by controlling how much grass fertilizer you
put on? No, you spray them and kill them. When your fish get sick do you
give them medicine? If they get parasites do you kill them with chemicals?
What's the difference?

IMHO fighting BBA with water control is a total waste of time. That works
for Green algae. It does not work for Red Algae which is fresh water
seaweed. It has to be killed.

I've been patient for 5 years putting up with this BBA and trying every kind
of water condition known to man. The root cause of BBA is bringing a plant
in with BBA on it - period. What, you think the stuff spontaneously
generates? BBA lives under all water conditions that support plants.
That's the problem.

I'm sick of looking at nice tanks infested with BBA. I want a clean tank
again.

Chris.

I am surprised that there seems to be so much frustration. I rid my
75 gallon tank about 9 months ago. I didn't use any chemicals. I
don't use co2. I am not sure if any one of my changes was more
important than any other, but the combination did the trick.

Perhaps I have had success has to do with my limited plant selection.
My lights are under 2 wpg and I finally bought only plants that
accept that condition. If those not getting a fix are using high
light and/or co2 maybe that has something to do with the failures.