Old 17-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Neil Jones

Default Horticultural Qualifications

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
message ...
"Martin Sykes" wrote in

message
| "Rod" wrote in message
| news | RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are

consistent
| and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I

have
| no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based

college
snip

| Thanks Rod, I had a look at the RHS site but it wasn't very helpful.

guess
| I'll have to email them for more info...
|
| --
| Martin & Anna Sykes
| ( Remove x's when

replying )

I dug a bit deeper and the RHS links to this site which does the RHS

General
Exam as a distance learning course in 10 modules for £340, taking

about a
year but you can start at any time. They do two options -

'traditional' or
'green' which has the same syllabus but teaches natural/organic

solutions.

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/

I paid less than this to go to my local horticultural college for one
evening a week for 18 months.

I considered the hcc correspondence course, but decided in favour of a
college-based course. I was glad I did because:-

- my plant knowledge improved *hugely* from a weekly identity parade of
20 or so plants (different each week) disussing the merits and uses of
each
- I found the discipline of a weekly 'lesson' much easier than doing
work when I find time - I'm the world's best at finding displacement
activities
- there's the social aspect to consider
- I made several contacts in the trade among fellow students
- we had several field trips gardens including Bedgebury Pinetum,
Sheffield Park, Wisley, etc. all with expert guidance from our tutors
- lots of help on exam technique (although you probably get this from
HCC too)

Your circumstances might not allow you to go to a college based course
but if it is an option, I would strongly recommend doing so.

Of course, I don't know whether I passed or not yet - could be the
crucial factor!

Regards

Neil