Old 17-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Cereus-validus

Default a truly baffling question about strawberries

Frankly Scarlet, nobody gives a flying fig!!

You do a very poor Seinfeld impression.

They are called strawberries because native Americans put straw around the
plants so that the fruit would stay above the ground and not rot
prematurely. Many still do the practice for the same reason. Not a mystery
at all.

You can spend the rest of your days pondering the mystery of "Grape Nuts".

They're not nuts and there's no grapes in them.
So what's the big deal?

"Sean O'Hara" wrote in
message ...
In the Year of the Monkey, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen
declared:

(And so, after five years of jokes about Gaza being reduced to
rec.gardening for cross-trolls...)

I'm just surprised he didn't go for the more obvious, "Why are they
called strawberries if they don't look like straw?"

--
Sean O'Hara
Gibberish in Neutral: http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com