Old 17-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Theo

Default Drip Irrigation of roses.....

Hoe! That seems excessive.

My drippers are typically set to provide
about 1 Gallon twice a week during a drought.

Water them during the early morning 5:00 AM ish
That way the sun will quickly burn away any moisture
before disease sets in.

Ground should not be 'damp' it should be just moist
to the touch. Cut down on you number of waterings to
2 per week and see how they perform. If they are wilting a
bit and the soil is drying out increase to 3 times a week.

Roses typically are not daily watering plants but like a
heavy soaking 1-2 times a week.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

"FOW" wrote in message
I use 8 gallons a week per rose.At 1 gallon per hour.
I water more than 1 time a week though. I live in California.
"DD" wrote in message
I have a drip irrigation system to water my roses, each rose has two 4
litre/hour drippers. At the moment I am leaving the system running for
an hour in the late evening each day. The ground seems damp enough and
the roses are flourishing but it seems a lot of water for each rose. Can
anyone give me an idea how much water a four year old [or older], bush
rose, would need?
I live in Sydney [Aust.] and we are in the middle of a severe drought
so any possible savings without compromising the plants is in the
general interest of the community.

DD