Old 18-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Joe Jamies

Default Fruit tree seeds sprouted on my porch

Hi there,

Last fall I planted various types of fruit seeds (cherry, plum,
nectarine) which have been sitting in small pots on my porch
(stratified over the winter). Now that spring time is close some of
the seeds have began to sprout. I would like to use these as
rootstocks to try out budding. Is it safe to transplant them outside
even though they have sprouted? For the remainder of the seeds
(unsprouted), should I plant them outside in rows, or wait first to
see which ones will sprout? Since my soil is concrete-like clay, could
I use 100% coarse sand for as a medium for these sprouted plants and
seeds?

Thanks
Joe