Old 18-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Chris_S

Default Eradicating BBA

The more I read about bleaching the more I hear people raving over its
success. One guy said he had been doing it since 1960. He said his tanks
go 5-10 years with absolutely no BBA problems - ZERO. Nearly everybody says
that when they get a reinfestation it is always due to something they put
into the tank later being lazy and not bleaching it. Or by adding water
from another tank. Their own mistakes.

I am extremely impressed. The reports are far better than I even expected.
Nearly everyone who has done it right says it really does works, they would
highly recommend it to others, and the BBA is deffinetly gone unless you do
something stupid and reintroduce it. One guy said he loves having the tanks
free of BBA because he can run his water anyway he likes and never has to
worry about BBA. He grows plants and forces the nutrients real high for
fast growth.

It is clear that one must treat the procedure seriously just like a
medically sterile operation. You have to think about everything that has
been in the infected tank and sterilize those things too. Nets you rarely
use, pH meters, tongs, tubes, etc. anything that ever touched the old tank
MUST be bleached before it ever goes back in again. The spores can be
anywhere. Quarantining the fish in another tank for a day to flush their
systems seems to be a very good idea as well, especially if they are SAEs.

They also say that most of the plants after bleaching do better than they
ever did before. Free of algae, their leaves can really go to work.
Beautiful leaves.

I'm sold. I'm planning on doing the bleach job next week. Have to get
everything prepared first. I'll repost after its done.

Thanks, Chris.