Old 18-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Best position for a vegetable patch

"Frogleg" wrote in message
| However, because it's darker there [ the North] in winter,
| there'll be *more* sun in summer, no?

???

*More * than what? The south? If you mean this as it sounds, then no:

Northern England is 'darker' than Southern England in winter. It's also
darker in summer and any other time of year. It's darker because the sun is
lower in the sky and so hits the ground more obliquely which means there is
less energy from the sun per square metre.

During our summer, we get more sun relative to the southern *hemisphere*
because of the angle of the earth's axis relative to its orbit, but because
Britain isn't near the equator, it all gets sunnier at the same time during
summer and darker at the same time during winter. And because Northern
Britain is further from the equator than Southern Britain, it's always
darker up north :-(

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )