Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Council closing allotments

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

Are the allotments (in the main) being used? If they are, and not just
one or oases of order two dotted around in a straggling desert, I'd have
a google on 'ombudsman' and 'council' and see what turns up, then, when
you have found someone with some teeth, organise everybody to contact
said teeth.

Petitions are not heeded too much, but a different letter from each
holder to individual councillors and to the council in general would
carry a lot more weight.

Try to get the sympathy of as many councillors as possible, and not only
opposition ones, as they'll support you for their own reasons.

If you do get up a petition, the views of householders near the
allotments are the most important to canvas.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/