Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Council closing allotments

"The Reid" wrote in message ...
I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

My understanding of the law relating to allotments is that if there are 6 or
more people in an area that want allotments the Council must provide them,
no argument!
If they are Statutory Allotments (your Council should tell you if you ask)
then you have some protection as your Council will have to apply to the
Regional DOE for Section 8 powers (change of use and transfer of control)
which means your Council have to prove there is no need for the allotments
and that they have been actively marketing them without response.
A letter of complaint from you all to the DOE would be a good start, and if
you know they have not complied with the active marketing, have allowed
sites to be vandalised because of broken fences, etc, then say so.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars