Old 18-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Rhiannon S

Default Best position for a vegetable patch

Subject: Best position for a vegetable patch
From: "Martin Sykes"
Date: 17/03/2004 19:17 GMT Standard Time
"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Eh? So why in summer is sunset later in scotland compared to SW?

My 'guess' (and I may be completely wrong here) is that if you look at a
map, Scotland is further west than most of England but we are in the same
time zone. The further west you are, the later the sun will set so I'd
expect that if you look at the figures closely, the sunset time in Scotland
say for Glasgow, would be similar to that for Cornwall and both would be
much later than sunset in Kent.

It's the axial tilt of the earth. In summer, the farther north you go the
longer the day is. If you reach the artic circle then it's light until winter.

By the same standard in winter the farther north you go, the shorter the day
length, one of the reasons for putting the clocks back in autumn is that if you
didn't then some parts of the uk would see dawn until after 10am.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/