Old 18-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Rod

Default Horticultural Qualifications

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:01:51 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

I dug a bit deeper and the RHS links to this site which does the RHS General
Exam as a distance learning course in 10 modules for £340, taking about a
year but you can start at any time. They do two options - 'traditional' or
'green' which has the same syllabus but teaches natural/organic solutions.

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/

That sounds a bit steep to me. I'm a bit concerned about them teaching
'green' *or* 'traditional'. I've not seen a very recent syllabus but I
would have expected them to want some familiarity with both. Anyway
it's not generally a simple 'either/or' situation, many people try to
integrate the best of both - using the most effective solutions
consistent with minimal personal and environmental risk.
I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))
Rod

Weed my email address to reply