Old 18-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Rod

Default Hedging

On 17 Mar 2004 01:11:06 -0800,
(Campbell Thompson) wrote:

I want to plant a new hedge in my back garden and am having problems
deciding what to go for. I have seen an evergreen on my travels that
looks like a Laurel but has lighter green, waxy leaves. I love the
laurel, but have the problem that I don't want to kill next door's
children when they decide to chew on a leaf or two! I have a distance
of about 100m to plant.

Not strictly evergreen but beech is nice if clipped correctly so it
keeps the brown leaves through the winter. (They go through some
spectacular colour changes before turning completely brown.) Some
forms of Holly (delve deeply - it's a huge and varied genus) would fit
your bill. If you aren't in a very cold place or if you're on the
coast, Escallonias and Griselinia would be good. Laurel can in any
case look very messy if clipped with shears.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply