Old 18-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Best position for a vegetable patch

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:28:02 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:33:42 +0100, "Jo Hall"
wrote:

As I mentioned in my reply to Jon, the nice south facing part of
our garden
is very open to the wind. I am not really sure what damages
plants mo
lack of sun or lots of wind!

Definitely lack of sun. Nearly all veg and herbs require "full sun"
which means at least 6 hrs/day of direct sunlight.

LOL. Have you visited the northern half of the UK, Frogleg? :-)

No. Just London. However, because it's darker there in winter,
there'll be *more* sun in summer, no?

No :-) If only!

I do stand by my advice -- the
more sun, the better.

Depends what you're growing and at what latitude. Jo is in France;
further south and warmer than the UK with less cloud cover, more sun,
and more intense light.

In some circumstances, afternoon shade and wind shelter could be preferable.
Hot afternoon sun and wind together is fine for herbs, maquis and
coastal plants with narrow/ hard/ silvery leaves etc but can be a deadly
combination for plants with large soft green leaves like tomatoes,
lettuce, beans or potatoes.

Janet