Old 18-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Kay Easton

Default Wild Garlic

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:16:45 -0000, Brian Watson wrote:

My Mother - generally v knowledgeable in gardening matters - has a clump of
plants she thinks is wild garlic.

It is growing in her garden in Essex and it now resembles spring onions but
with none of the distinctive smell. I pulled up a bulb and split it across
with my thumb nail and it didn't have the distinctive structure of a garlic
bulb as usually recognised either.

Is it possible this is wild garlic - without features that appear later in
the year, and then only in cultivated forms?

It could be that pernicious weed Nothoscordum inodorum.

I don't think we get that in the UK!

Looks
much like a garlic above ground, but bulbs are very different in
structure and there's no onion-y scent.

If there's a chance this is what it is, start now eradicating
this pest. I suggest that a small nuclear device might be a good
starting place in the process.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: