Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Brian Watson

Default Wild Garlic

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:16:45 -0000, Brian Watson wrote:

My Mother - generally v knowledgeable in gardening matters - has a clump

of
plants she thinks is wild garlic.

It is growing in her garden in Essex and it now resembles spring onions

but
with none of the distinctive smell. I pulled up a bulb and split it

across
with my thumb nail and it didn't have the distinctive structure of a

garlic
bulb as usually recognised either.

Is it possible this is wild garlic - without features that appear later

in
the year, and then only in cultivated forms?

I doubt it, nearly, if not all the Alliums have a scent.

snip the rest

Thanks to those who responded. It certainly doesn't seem to be "wild
garlic".

I'll advise her to see what, if any, flowers develop and then decide whether
to dig it up.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"