Old 18-03-2004, 02:56 PM
EvelynMcH

Default Cats - ongoing problem

One harmless method to help with the cat problem is to put citrus peels in the
garden. Cats hate the smell, and the peels are harmless, and can just be turned
under as mulch. Hubby loves grapefruit, so we just save the rinds and cut them
into strips to toss into the mulch between plants in the summer. (We mulch with
the blossoms and flower pods from a magnolia in front of the house, mixed with
commercial shredded pine mulch)

I do this, and have a catnip patch at one end of my raised bed - both stopped
the loose soil from being a giant litter box. We also have ornamental onions
and raspberries at the opposite end, and the raspberry thorns have certainly
slowed the cat traffic that was tolerant of the onions. Cats will not dig
anywhere near the onions, but, because they flower in late spring and die back
until fall, I can still plant my tomatoes and peppers for a summer crop!
-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein