Old 19-03-2004, 12:30 AM
J Fortuna

Default Newbie

Peggy,
The best orchid to start with depends on which conditions you can provide
the orchid plant. Which direction do the windows in your home face? Would
you describe your home as rather dry or rather humid? What is the lowest
night time temperature that your home gets in the winter time? What is the
hottest that it gets on summer days?

The book "Orchid Growing for Wimps" by Ellen Zachos is one way to find out
about some of the most popular orchid species and their conditions. Another
good place to start is AOS culture sheets at
http://orchidweb.org/culture.html

I grow mostly Phalaenopsis orchids, and I along with many others consider
them to be easy low maintenance plants. However, even Phals are not best
beginning plants for everyone (for example if you have only a South facing
window). Here is the AOS culture sheet for Phals
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/cul...nner/phals.pdf .

If after reading this, you think you can provide these conditions, Phals are
now available in many grocery stores (including Trader Joe's or Fresh
Fields) in most major cities in the US.

From your email address I take it that you like me live in Virginia. One
very good place to buy orchids in Virginia is Al's Greenhouse in Leesburg
(go to the Web site http://www.orchidexchange.com ). One of the advantages
to driving over to Al's is that you would see a wider selection of plants
than at your local stores. Al is also quite friendly and knowledgeable, and
gives great advice.

I think it is important to buy one's first plant locally in person, not
through mail order shipping -- especially since most places don't ship
plants in bloom and there is a risk of bud blast (loosing the buds) due to
the stress of shipping. Get a plant that is either in bloom (to see what it
looks like when you buy it) or at least in spike or bud (if you are willing
to be surprised about the actual look of the flower).

I hope this helps.
Best,
Joanna

"Peggy Elliott" wrote in message
I love orchids but have never owned one. Which one, in your opinion, is

the
best one(s) to start with and whats a good place to get them?