Old 27-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] FW: [IBC] Please be gentle !!

Mark Hill wrote:

snip

As Bart suggested, it is my intention to rent a rototiller and "soften"
the beds.
I then intended to remove about 1/3 of the existing soil (clay) and
replace it with twice as much organics.
That way I should end up with equal parts clay and organics. The results
(I'm hoping) will be raised beds.
Around the shrubs I intend on digging them up, digging a much bigger
hole (3 X larger??), and filling the hole with an organic/clay mixture.

You might think about raised beds for your shrubs, with a border made of railroad
ties or something else. This could be done in addition to tilling the soil as Bart
suggested.

I found when I was doing vegetable gardening that peat and manure helped loosen the
soil up. Some gravel or sand might help for drainage.

snip

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Looks like I've found a new group of friends.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA, Zone 6 (where it's currently 9 deg F)

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a
An even 0 this morning.