Old 19-03-2004, 03:49 AM
mg

Default Timer for metal halide

I've used just a simple 2-prong lamp timer. I'm not recommending it,
just telling you what I did. Worked great. Your mileage may vary.

Mike wrote:
Can anyone provide guidance on how large a timer I need for a 400W
metal halide grow lamp? The vendor suggested a 15 amp grounded
outlet, the stated he likes 20 amps ones. However, I recently ran
across some nice, grounded 10 amp, outdoor timers ( Intermatic . On
the side they list capcaity as 1200 amps R Resistive or 1200 amps
Tungsten. I know that Metal halides are different, but do I really
need a 15 amp timer or will these 10 amp ones work?

Thanks
Mike