Old 19-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Chris Boulby

Default Azaleas

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:02:12 -0000, "lucilu"
wrote:

I'm going to treat myself to an azalea and want to keep it in a pot. I'm not
sure what compost it would be best to use. Should I stick with ordinary John
Innes or do I need an ericaceous compost.
Many thanks for any help.....

You need an ericaceous compost. Most JI composts have lime added, as
do many multi-purpose composts, but JI also do a lime-free ericaceous
compost. There are other types of ericaceous compost available, but
I'd go for the JI version.

I've always been curious about why ericaceous compost would be more
expensive than multi purpose compost, assuming that the multi purpose
composts are just ericaceous composts with something extra added to
neutralise it.

Would pure peat do just as well as ericaceous compost for this purpose?

--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias