Old 19-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Tom Bennett

Default Azaleas

"Chris Boulby"

I've always been curious about why ericaceous compost would be more
expensive than multi purpose compost, assuming that the multi purpose
composts are just ericaceous composts with something extra added to
neutralise it.

Would pure peat do just as well as ericaceous compost for this purpose?

I've often wondered about that too, Chris, but I've come up with the
cynical answer that they charge more because people *think* that it's
"special" and are prepared to pay more.

In the same vein, have you seen the way cut-flowers have shot up in price
ahead of Mothering Sunday this weekend? I've told my Mum that I'll be
sending her twice as many as normal ..... but in a couple of week's time.

:-)

- Tom.