Old 19-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Chris Boulby

Default Euphorbia mellifera

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Chris Boulby
writes

Thanks everyone. I've taken a closer look at the bottom of the stems
(was looking for big shoots like my E. 'Great Dixter' does each year,
but now I see there are new shoots, though they are thin and wiry, right
at the base near the soil. I'll be patient (mother always said I was
born without it).

Chris - remember E mellifera is a giant - mine has got up to 6ft across.
And it doesn't die down each year. So, since yours is a tiny one year
old seedling, it's going to have tiny shoots - wait till it's got up to
adult size, and then you'll see big shoots!

I'm nurturing a couple of seedlings in the cold frame because I
thought mellifera was a bit tender..does yours suffer from cold at all,
kay?

Janet

Someone at an HPS garden told me that E. stygiana is hardier than
mellifera, but still with the scent and 'looks' of mellifera, so I'm
trying to germinate seed of that this year in case my mellifera fails
when put in the ground. But I've also germinated more mellifera too

And all this from one who didn't like them until a couple of years ago.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias