Old 19-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Kay Easton

Default Euphorbia mellifera

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

I'm nurturing a couple of seedlings in the cold frame because I
thought mellifera was a bit tender..does yours suffer from cold at all,
kay?

No, but it is just under the kitchen window on a south facing wall
(ground floor level is 4ft above ground level, in case you were having
visions of us being blocked in by a 6ft football)

It is supposed to be tender, so I wouldn't suggest your taking them out
of the cold frame, even though on Arran you're going to be a lot warmer
than 400 ft up in Yorkshire. Otoh, a have 4 or 5 seedlings scattered
about in odd places on the rest of the terrace, ie without the warmth of
the house at their backs, and they all seem OK. None of them is growing
at the rate of Chris's, though!

It was mere accident that I got mine - I knew nothing about euphorbias,
but my husband liked them, so we picked up several different ones at
the GC for our new garden. I've rarely seen it on sale since, but it
really is a cracker - huge, vigorous, doesn't flop like characias but
otherwise has similar character, but for a long season is covered with
great clusters of honey scented flowers - and when I say scented, I mean
flowers that send their perfume across the whole terrace.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: