Old 19-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Emery Davis

Default Best position for a vegetable patch

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:08:26 GMT, Janet Baraclough.. said:

[]
] Depends what you're growing and at what latitude. Jo is in France;
] further south and warmer than the UK with less cloud cover, more sun,
] and more intense light.
]
Hi Janet,

Well, colder winters, warmer summers. Unless she's all the way out by the coast.

She should do well with sun, her region is referred to as "the garden of France."
A quick trip to some places like Villandry will confirm it!

So I don't think too much sun will be a problem for her. I'd favor the
frequently proposed "living windbreak."

In our very windy garden we've got gooseberries along the south (and windy)
side, they actually offer a good deal of protection without cutting too much
light. Of course, I'm probably all of 60 miles north of Jo, so perhaps it's
much darker here...

-E

] In some circumstances, afternoon shade and wind shelter could be preferable.
] Hot afternoon sun and wind together is fine for herbs, maquis and
] coastal plants with narrow/ hard/ silvery leaves etc but can be a deadly
] combination for plants with large soft green leaves like tomatoes,
] lettuce, beans or potatoes.
]
] Janet
]