Old 19-03-2004, 01:57 PM
J. Del Col

Default newbie question.... healthy rose plant, no flower

pcy wrote in message ...
Hello,

We had planted several rose plants (bought from Home Depot,
also from a nursery)last year. Two of those plants grew
at a (more than) healthy rate. The plants always looked great;
however, those 2 rose plants NEVER flowered throught the whole
year. Do some rose plants never flower? Or something wrong
with our soil/ fertilizer we're feeding?
FYI, I am in Chicagoland area (for weather considerations).

Your comments/suggestions are appreciated...

Phanendra

What variety are they? Some old fashioned roses bloom only in the
spring.
And some roses bloom only on the previous year's growth.

Roses need plenty of sun, preferably throughout the morning. If they
are in the shade, move them.

What fertilizer did you use? Too much nitrogen
may result in lots of vegetative growth at the expense of flowers,
though this isn't usually a problem.

They will probably bloom this year. If not, shovel prune them. Life
is too short to waste on balky roses.

J. Del Col