Old 19-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Hal

Default Chainsaw?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:33:10 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

The electric will probably serve your needs well, but you have to work
around the cord. A small gas powered saw is great for climbing and
taking apart trees, or cutting firewood. Both need chain lubricant
and you can get into dry chain trouble quicker with a gas powered saw
because it runs a little faster, but it cuts a little faster too.

If you think either machine will be a trouble free tool you can just
grab and use anytime, you may be disappointed. The chain needs
sharpening frequently to keep it cutting properly and it will need
adjusting to keep it from jumping off the bar after it gets hot from
use. Chain oil is expensive, but it isn't a good idea to try to
substitute a cheaper oil since most oils don't stick to the metal
parts like chain oil and will sling off and will not be effective.

Regards,

Hal