Old 19-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Chainsaw?

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

If your arms get very tired after one cut with a bowsaw, they are
going to find the vibration and extra weight of even a small electric
chainsaw a whole lot worse.*Please* don't use any chainsaw unless you
have strong arms, have been on a training course on safe operation, and
are wearing full safety equipment from head to toe (which costs a lot
more than a cheap chainsaw). One of the first things taught on a basic
training course, is only to operate the saw while standing on the
ground, unobstructed, with open space behind you, and not to cut above
the level of your shoulder. Think about that in relation to your
overgrown bushes and trees.

I'd do 3" limbs gradually with a bowsaw, as strength permits. Remember
you can alternate thin and thick branches in any ratio that suits your
strength and energy. If you can find a friend to help, with a bowsaw two
people can safely work in the same area, one sawing and one clearing
(unlike a chainsaw).

Old bowsaws can be hard work just because the blade is worn and blunt.
New blades aren't very expensive or difficult to fit and make sawing
much faster, and easier on the arms.

Janet.