Old 19-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Michelle

Default Basic plant root question

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:46:35 -0500, "Bruce W.1"
wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably am wrong.

Plants don't have a circulatory system. There is no circulatory loop
like with mammal blood. All moisture goes from the roots up. This is
caused by moisture evaporation from the leaves.

Theorhetically then, you could chop off a plant at ground level and
connect the stem to a vacuum suction pump and the roots wouldn't know
the difference, the roots would continue to grow.

What's wrong with this theory? Or might it actually work? If not then why?

Thanks for your help.

I know in some instances this can't be true case in boint plants like
spanish mos which don't really have roots and some plants absorb
moisture right from the air like a lot of tropical plants.
I think a few orchids are like that but I'm no expert these are just
my random thoughts on the subject so I could be wrong I in the case of
celery which I did a project on in the third grade the process is
definatly one way.
We used food coloring to track vascular activity.
and we tried to see if the food coloring would travel in the oppisite
direction by misting the leaves with water that had a bit of food
coloring in it and we varried the amounts and no color traveled down
just what was risidual on the leaves and I can get color in al lot
of my white flowers such as mums roses and my carnations by adding
food color to my water or plant food when I water or feed and I get a
better result when I use it in the food
and it does not work hardely at all with my bulbs If any one knows
why that is that would be interesting
well those are my thoughts and experiances
hope they help some in your querry
Michelle
back from being away for a while Missed you guys