Old 19-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Bonnie Punch

Default THANKS - AND THANKS FOR NOTHING

You sound a little needy, which might be off-putting to some seed
recipients. Certainly there is a type of gardener too cheapy-ass to buy
even a $2 seedling or a packet of seeds, the sorts of bungholes who just
want something for nothing. Because of my website, I have beggars emailing
me for cuttings & seeds several times a week, as there seem to be no end
of ******s cruising the web looking for free plants from perfect strangers
because they apparently have no actual friends with whom to trade plants.
I ignore most of them or send them links to commercial sources, but when I
can I do occasionally share things with friends & correspondents, though
mainly with visitors rather than with emailers.

Despite my own cynical views of the matter, people have sent me things
from time to time which they thought I would enjoy, which I often did

Helen is the very opposite of needy. She very generously offers to send
seeds to people *at her own expense*! If you send to more than a dozen
people, that starts to add up to some real $$$. I've exchanged seeds
and roots with her, and when her package arrives, there are always
extras in there. Like me, she hates to see things go to waste, and that
includes extra seeds.

In this day and age it seems to be difficult to give freely of your
time and resources without comming under suspicion of having an
ulterior motive.

It doesn't matter wether you spent five minutes stuffing some seeds in
an envelope, or an hour digging up some daylilies to divide, it's nice
to know that the items arrived and were appreciated. Sometimes life
gets in the way for awhile and the recipient takes longer than they'd
like to say thanks, but to get no response at all is very frustrating.

BP