Old 19-03-2004, 07:05 PM
RoyDMercer

Default Preparing for Sod

"Shaival Gupta" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I just moved in my new home and my back yard has no sod. I am however
blessed my mother nature with bountiful weeds. I was preparing to lay
down some top soil and emerald zoysia. Is there a simple way to get
rid of the weeds in my backyard before I lay down the dirt and sod. I
have read about Roundup and was wondering if it may affect the sod I
will lay down. What are the alternatives ? I have an established small
oak tree in the back yard and have plated a new chinese pistachio.
How much time should I allow to pass after the weed killer application
to lay down the sod ?

Round up only kills when it comes into contact with green plant material.
If it soaks into the soil, it doesn't cause problems for later plantings,
although most experts recommend waiting about 72 hours before a new
planting.

Here is some things you'll want to consider.

1) Apply Round up, wait about 1 week and then apply round up again to
everything that was missed the first time. Repeat this process until all
the weeds are gone.

2) Have your soil tested. Many nurseries now offer free soil testing. If
your soil needs amendments, the best time to do it is BEFORE putting sod
down.

3) If you have clay soil, consider tilling in lots of organic material.
Organic material works better than sand for correcting clay soils.

4) You'll want to till the soil and then roll out the soil completely smooth
before laying sod. Consider addressing any drainage issues prior to laying
sod.

5) If you want a sprinkler system, it's much easier and cheaper to have it
installed before sod is laid.

6) The sod should be rolled with a water-filled roller after sod is put down
to smooth it out and make sure the roots make contact with the soil.

7) Water lightly every day for 3 weeks minimum.