Old 19-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Pranab Nag

Default Some species of tropical trees

steph wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to know your opinions about these trees to do bonsai :

Alectryon Oleifolius
Cochlospermum fraseri
Bombax ceiba
Eucalyptus citriodora
Eucalyptus globulus
Eucalyptus deglupta
Santalum album
Lagunaria petersonii
Thevetia peruviana
Thespesia populnea
Guaiacum officinale
Rhizophora mangle
Chorisia speciosa
Mangifera indica
Psidium Guajava
Plumeria Alba

Thanks,

Steph

I guess you are growing them from seeds. Where did you obtain these from?

All I can say is I have a 5 year old Mangifera indica (mango) that shows
no sign of leaf reduction. The trunk is about 1.5 inches in diameter at
the base but the leaves can become 10inches long easy. They need a
winter dormancy but cannot stand freezing. They flower right after they
come out of dormancy (about Feb/March in India) and the fruit ripens
starting about June.

I believe santalam alba is sandalwood. I have grown several of them from
seed and only one survived. It looks like a good candidate but I am not
so hopeful it will survive.

I have not tried any of the others.

-Pranab