Old 20-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Steve

Default OT- Pop Up help

Aaron Hicks wrote:
Ah, popups. The satan spawn of advertising and computers.

First off, run Spybot Search and Destroy. It's free.

Secondly, get Lavasoft's "Ad-aware." It's free, too. You can find
where to get both of these from a Google search; I'd offer an URL for
Spybot, but they seem to have moved around a bit thanks to DDOS attacks
from the spyware and spammer consortium. Ad-aware comes from Lavasoft, at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

.................................................. .....................

Mariana,
Aaron is most certainly right about the Ad-aware program. I don't
remember ever being so completely happy with a computer program.
Download it, install it, then click the "check for updates now"
button. Then have it scan your computer and don't be surprised if it
finds over 100 things it doesn't like. Don't go through the list one
item at a time (it will take forever). Right click the list and
choose select all (or what ever). Be bold and have it clean up
everything it found. I've never seen it go after something I wanted
to keep.
Pop up windows that come when you open a web site are another story.
I have zero problems with those now that I use Netscape 7.1 as my
browser. If I ever have to use Explorer and the pop ups start, I
think "yuck, I forgot about those things!".
I don't have spam all figured out but for sure, if you aren't
getting spam, don't ever use your real address on a newsgroup!

Steve