Old 20-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Chainsaw?

Frogleg wrote:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

What everyone is saying is true but there is another option that is
better. There are new inexpensive motorized pole saws that are
sometimes called power pruners, or prunning sticks. The saw is a
miniature chairsaw that would easily cut 3" branches at any height. The
fact that you can hold the pole at a distance greater than your height
makes it almost impossible to hurt yourself. Several companies make
them including Echo, Bosch, and Poulan. I haven't seen any in Walmart
but they may be getting them in. Or a local dealer may take the Walmart
card as credit for one or someone my buy the Walmart card. It is worth
a try.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman