Old 20-03-2004, 06:02 AM
steph

Default Some species of tropical trees

Pranab Nag wrote:

All I can say is I have a 5 year old Mangifera indica (mango) that

shows
no sign of leaf reduction. The trunk is about 1.5 inches in diameter at
the base but the leaves can become 10inches long easy. They need a
winter dormancy but cannot stand freezing. They flower right after they
come out of dormancy (about Feb/March in India) and the fruit ripens
starting about June.

Thanks for this Pranab, now I know about the dormancy of mango.

I believe santalam alba is sandalwood. I have grown several of them from
seed and only one survived. It looks like a good candidate but I am not
so hopeful it will survive.

Yes, this is sandalwood.
Do you know why the others are died ?

I guess you are growing them from seeds. Where did you obtain these from?

From internet :

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
http://www.tropicaflore.com/ (only french for this one)

I have not tried any of the others.

Some day ago I read that Rhizophora mangle can be a not to bad candidate.

Steph