Old 20-03-2004, 11:18 AM
broomhilda

Default landscaping blueprints?

Thank you, but it seems that whoever writes the article should have a clue
as to what is planted in the gardens.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"broomhilda" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hope you find such a place. In landscaping my place I just looked for
pictures and used them as a guide.

I wish gardening magazines would tell what plants are what in

thepictures
they publish. Wrote and told that to Fine Gardening but don't they will

or
not.

"Josh Nikle" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of anyplace on the Web that I could get blueprints
for landscaping? What I'm looking for is a picture of say a backyard,
and then a layout that tells me to plant this tree in this spot. Does
such a thing even exist? I love landscaped yards, but unfortunately I
wasn't blessed with the eye for it. Well, that, and I can count the
number of plants I can positively identify on two fingers. Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.

There is a bit more to landscape design than just superimposing a pre-done
design over your garden and following the plant list - that's perhaps why
there are not too many website that offer exactly what you are looking

for.
Light conditions, soil and drainage, climate factors and plant suitability
all make it difficult to just plug in a plan and go. But, in response to
your request, here is a good source for a whole slew of landscape plans.
http://www.id-rather-be.com/landscap...ping_plans.htm

OTOH, there are dozens of excellent home landscaping books on the market
that will help you develop your own plan to the specifics of your yard.

Some
even provide a rudimentary plant encylcopedia to help you with you

choices.
Check to see what your library has available or search amazon.com for
suitable titles. Once you have worked out a plan of how you want you

garden
to flow and what type of plant (tree, shrub, evergreen, etc.) you want
where, a visit to a good local nursery is in order to see what plants are
available and best suited to your area and conditions.

Another alternative is to hire a professional for a short consultation or

develop a plan for you.

broomhilda, most of the photo layouts in garden mags are done with a just

photographer and maybe an assistant - seldom a gardening 'expert' other

than
homeowner is involved. Since only a few of likely dozens - maybe even
100's - of shots of a single garden ever get published and long after the
shoot at that, its remarkable any of them are labeled as to plants and

with
any degree of accuracy. Certainly it seems unlikely that anyone on the
magazine staff is able to go back and examine each photo or contact the
homeowner and ID every plant included, even if they knew. Books or nursery
catalogs are going to be a much better source of picture ID than any
magazine.

pam - gardengal