Old 20-03-2004, 07:03 PM
belly

Default Tabasco Peppers

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 05:02:03 GMT in
, Pam Rudd
graced the world with this thought:

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:33:47 GMT,
belly scribbled:

TCS graced the world

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:15:49 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Has anyone grown Tabasco peppers from seed? I'm trying to this
year, but my germination rate is very low and the plants that
have germinated are growing slower than the other peppers.
Is this normal for Tabasco peppers? Are they fussy geminators?

huh? I thought tobasco was a company name. Planting tobasco peppers
sounds like planting heinz tomatoes.

not sure, but I think they're a particular strain of cayenne.

I thought that too, but they're not. Cayennes are _C.annuum_.
Tabasco peppers are a different species, they're _C.frutescens_.

Penelope

Interestingly, I have a pack of cayenne seeds, it lists them as
annuums, however, when looking at several web pages, some list
cayennes as frutescens, others list them as annuum. One thing that
they all agree on, is that all the milder peppers like bells, paprika,
pimento, etc., are all annuum. Do you know if maybe they were
reclassified in the last couple years? I seem to remember my first
brush with cayennes, they were called frutescens, but that was
probably 25 years ago.