Old 20-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default THANKS - AND THANKS FOR NOTHING

The message a
from Bonnie Punch contains these words:

Paghat meant emotionally needy. I knew that, and I meant that she is
not any more needy than the rest of us.

Okay..because your next sentence mentioned financial expense I thought
you might have misread.

We *all* manipulate people
*all* the time.

I don't agree; I think most of us do it deliberately at some time or
other. But many people consciously avoid doing it, as much as possible.

We pay attention to a spouse/lover so that they will
love us, and we won't be alone. We flatter a friend so they'll like us
and we'll have someone to talk to.

Do you? How very odd. I don't do either of those things. My husband
still adores me unconditionally, and my friends know that a compliment
from me is genuinely deserved by them and genuinely felt by me.

In order to get you have to give.

That isn't generosity, it's self-seeking.

Maybe she's just really nice?

Could be :-)

What's she supposed to do?
People
need to be reminded of basic ettiquette sometimes, and some people
won't get it unless you hit them upside the head with a clue-by-four.

I would be very surprised if any uncaring selfish ingrates would give
a damn about a general public rant about basic etiquette. They've got
away with their bad manners scot-free; nobody here knows who they are,
so they won't lose out next time there's a general seed-offer.

This isn't the first time someone has complained here of a lack of a
decent response when sending out items.

Exactly; so everyone knows by now that if you send seeds to usenet
strangers, not all of them will bother to thank. People are responsible
for themselves and the consequences of their own choices, as Victoria
and Paghat have already said.

Thankyou for this conversation :-)

Janet.