Old 20-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Frogleg

Default Should I seed directly or sprout and transplant

On 20 Mar 2004 11:55:08 -0800, (David
Goldsmith) wrote:

I vegetable garden organically in Oly, Wash. and am getting ready to
start this year's crop. I have good soil and good compost to enrich
it with. Opinions: should I seed directly or start and transplant?
Does it depend on the plant, i.e., some plants should be seeded
directly, others started and transplanted? And any opinions regarding
using egg cartons for the starts? Finally and separately, any advice
on nursing transplanted cedar sprouts?

Newsgroup hint: it is better to ask 1 or max 2 questions per post.
With more, many will have an opinion on A; 3 will mention B; 1 C; and
no one D. Approximatetly.

A: seed packets or web info will often give directions to "start seed
(indoors) 6 weeks before last frost" or some such. This is primarily
for plants requiring a long growing season and warm ground outdoors --
tomatoes, peppers, many hot-weather veg. You *can* seed directly in
the ground after it's warm, but you lose several weeks of growing
time.

B: Hard to state any rules. Take a look at what plants are sold in
early spring -- those are, mostly, the ones you would start inside and
transplant when it's warm. You don't see corn plants or pea or bean
plants in Home Depot.

C: Cardboard egg cartons are fine (*are* there any cardboard ones any
more?). Just don't let them dry out. Plastic/foam ones need holes for
drainage so the seeds don't rot in a sopping mix.

D: You *eat* cedar? :-)