Old 20-03-2004, 10:29 PM
The Watcher

Default Tabasco Peppers

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:54:33 GMT, belly wrote:

(snip)
Actually, I believe that they're grown on Avery Island and the
surrounding salt pillars, at least for the product.

Avery Island, on top of a big salt dome is an interesting place to visit if you
ever go down to that part of Louisiana. I grew up not too far from there, and
found it worth visiting(several times). In addition to the tabasco peppers, they
also grow a bunch of different types of bamboo and manufacture the Tabasco
Sauce. They mine salt from the salt dome, and there's also an egret nesting area
in the private preserve. Also lots of ponds in there with alligators swimming in
them.