Old 20-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Brian

Default Towards a more organic garden (etc.)

I'm not a granola-type person, but I do have to say that after 2 and a
half years as a homeowner, I'm much more sensitive to the environment
around me. I've removed tons of boring old shrubs and planted things
that are interesting to me (a mix of fragrant and fruiting plants), and
many of these things attract birds and insects of an amazing variety.
It's incredible to be able to look out at the yard (or be out in it)
and see these creatures going about their business...and it feels wrong
to be spraying all kinds of better-living-through-chemistry mess
indiscriminately all over the place. I'm not condemning anybody, please
note, I'm talking about me here. You all do what you want, hear?

That being said, I'm in the market for things that are less destructive
to the balance of life out there. I have a few hybrid tea roses (why, I
don't know...I should just give up), and I'm determined to find a
source for Rose Defense, preferably locally. I'll order it from the
manufacturer if I have to, but I'm surprised I can't find any around
here. If you don't know what it is, it's a spray made from Neem seeds,
which supposedly has both insecticidal and fungicidal qualities, and
has been used in India for thousands of years for all kinds of uses
beyond these. By the same people is a product called Vegetable Defense,
also made from Neem.

I asked about these, as well as diatomaceous earth (non-toxic and made
from diatom skeletons, which are somewhere near microscopic size and
practically shred slugs and other soft-bodied things as they slide over
the powder you sprinkle around) at Buchanan's yesterday, and I might as
well have been speaking Greek. I did mention to the very nice lady
there that there seemed to be a wave of interest in this kind of stuff,
and she just kept nodding and smiling. Whatever!

I guess I'll just stick with the farmer's market and Big Bloomers from
now on for my non-shrub needs (OK, wants!)...better selection and lower
prices, anyway. I do think somebody around here needs to pick up the
ball when it comes to organic gardening supplies. I'd like to support a
Raleigh business like Buchanan's, so I guess that's why I'm
disappointed in the response I got.