Old 21-03-2004, 04:02 AM
B & J

Default Poppies

"Andrea Bostrom" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to prepare the soil for poppies? I've

heard
they like sand (I am in KY in Zone 6) but am not quite sure how to prepare

the
ground for the seeds. My tomato seedlings are thriving and I can't wait

to get
back into the garden. Don't know why my purple coneflowers died off last

year
though!

Andrea

I planted my poppy seeds last fall (Nov., zone 6 AR) by strewing them on top
of the area where I wanted annual poppies without bothering to cover them..
It looks as if every single seed grew. The plants are about an inch high and
an inch wide and will requie some thinning. BTW, these came from seed pods
given to me by a friends who has them throughout her garden. The seed pods
worked like salt shakers when I planted the seeds.

John