Old 21-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Robert Flory

Default Eradicating BBA

"Chris_S" wrote in message
I guess I no longer believe that there are any water conditions under

which
BBA will not survive. Sure you can make it grow faster or slower, but the
point is it keeps growing once it is in your tank. That is not true with
Green algae. That you can control and essentially make it disappear.

I've
never had any significant problem with Green algae.

Once you have it in your tank, well I guess you could say it's probably

like
having Herpes. You just have to learn how to live with it. I am fed up
living with it and I want it out.

Regards, Chris.

You are right in one regard, there are not really any water conditions where
BBA won't grow. There are conditions where plants grow well enough that BBA
essentially disappears. Spores are everywhere, no matter what you do sooner
or later everything will find its way into your tank. If you have good
balanced conditions you don't have problems. Sadly balanced conditions in a
tiny artificial ecosystem are hard to come by.

You need balanced conditions where the plants grow well and they will not be
over powered by algae. You can spend bucks testing or use Tom's method of
dosing ferts and water changes.

A lot of Tom's ideas are based on solid experimental work and research. It
is fascinating to spend part of an afternoon listening to him talk about the
science and practical experience behind his ideas with experienced planted
aquarium types. I have to chuckle watching guys with kids (and tanks) older
than Tom listen and agree with his methods.

It isn't the only way, but it works. I personally have had really bad
experience with chemicals.

Actually I had my best luck using pristine water out of the big springs
along the Snake River. Never had any kind of problems, but it is a bit of a
long drive these days from the Bay Area.

Bob