Old 21-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Raised beds

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am strating to make use of some old raised beds thay are 30 feet by 4

feet
wide an 3 feet high - I have repaired the brickwork but have a question.
I have removed all the soil and have found a layer of crushed rock, should

line the structure with polythene and make draine holes in the bottom or
just pile in a mix of soil, potting compost and rotted manure. I have

also
laid on water to each so that I can install a trickle hose in each.

Bob

I'd use a layer of weed-suppressing membrane rather than polythene as it'll
do the same job but more effectively unless you happen to have the polythene
already. Don't just put the soil in direct as it'll wash down into the gaps
and the surface will sink. If you want to make loads of holes in polythene
quickly, roll it up into a sausage and stab it with a garden fork - much
quicker than making the holes individually.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )