Old 21-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Steve

Default Tabasco Peppers

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

........................ Sometimes bad germination happens. In
this case, since all the other peppers planted in the tray at the
same time have germinated and are growing well, I don't think I'm
to blame. I wanted to be fair, though, so I asked if Tabasco
peppers had some special germination requirement that I'm not
aware of. I did plant the rest of the seeds in the packet in
another tray, just to be sure. I'll have to let you know about
them.

Penelope

One thing I didn't see mentioned (you probably already know this) is
that pepper seeds don't store very well. I have grown tomato seeds
from the same packet for 4 or 5 years with no problem. Pepper seeds
are nearly worthless by the second year.
Maybe the seed company or, possibly, the people who grow the seed
for them did something wrong. I would like to think they wouldn't
try to sell two year old seed but there could have been an honest
mistake by letting them get too warm in storage or something. If
that is the case, the rest of the seeds in the packet will be just
as bad. If the rest of the packed suddenly grows normally, then
something did go wrong on your end the first time. You'll soon find
out.
I've never grown tabasco peppers, myself. I do suppose they behave
pretty much like the others.

Steve