Old 21-03-2004, 10:02 AM
gregpresley

Default is my edith bogue magnolia grandiflora "toast'?

Last year I planted an Edith Bogue magnolia in Spokane - borderline zone
5/6. (nothing colder than -10 for the past 10 years). The tree did
magnificently all summer (it's about 8 feet tall now) and even had 2 big
blossoms. I heaped some pine straw around the base of the tree away from the
trunk, and we also had quite a bit of snow cover for all of the coldest
parts of the winter. However, we had a night of -22 in January. (Edith
Bogues have been known to survive -20). Nonethelss, all seemed well, even
though some of the foliage was burned and looking a little ratty. Then 4
days ago we had a massive windstorm, and it ripped 3/4 of the leaves right
off of the tree. The upper parts of the trunk are still green (the new
growth from last year), and the buds are still green. Do I dare hope that
the tree will leaf out in late April, as I'm praying it will? Or should I
start mourning immediately?